Over 170 students visited local Barnsley workplaces as part of Work Inspiration Week 2019! The students went to a range of exciting employers to get a first-hand experience of working life.
As part of Barnsley Council’s ‘More and Better Jobs’ initiative, Work Inspiration Week saw around 170 students from Kirk Balk Academy visiting local employers from Monday 18th March to Friday 22nd March, to learn about the variety of job roles within different sectors and companies.
The Year 8 students took part in a half-day visit to understand how a business functions in different sectors, including retail, museums, landscaping, colleges and more.
Many local businesses were excited at the opportunity to inspire their potential future workforce.
Some of the providers and activities included:
- Barnsley FC inviting students to a press conference.
- Berneslai Homes gave students construction challenges.
- Barnsley College taught pupils about recruitment, IT, finance and marketing.
- Barnsley Council’s museum service showcased what it takes to look after the parkland at Cannon Hall.
- Students planned to build a school with environmental consultants at Enzygo.
- MKB Solicitors challenged students to come up with advice for a case.
- The Source worked to explore opportunities in retail and took the young people ‘behind the scenes’ at Meadowhall.
Following the success of the week, the IKIC team will be running the week again with other schools and employers. If you’d like to get involved, please contact Helen Valentine at email@example.com